Join Rotarians to help make Polio only the second disease to ever be eradicated
Imagine a world where no child lives in fear of paralysis from Polio
October 24 is World Polio Day and along with Rotarians and friends around the world, the Rotary Club of Lions Gate is holding a “24 for 24 on 24 – End Polio Now” fundraising event to help support this worthy cause.
- What: Raise $24 or multiples of $24 by having your family and/or friends sponsor you
- How: For walking, running, or cycling 24 kilometres
- When: On or before 24 October 2021
When Rotary and its partners launched the Global Polio Eradication Initiative in 1988, there were 350,000 cases of polio in 125 countries every year. We’ve made great progress against the disease since then. Today, polio cases have been reduced by 99.9 percent, and just two countries continue to report cases of wild poliovirus.
With polio nearly eradicated, Rotary and its partners must sustain this progress and continue to reach every child with the polio vaccine. Without full funding and political commitment, this paralyzing disease could return to polio-free countries, putting children everywhere at risk. Rotary has committed to raising US$50 million each year to support global polio eradication efforts. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has pledged to match that 2-to-1, for a total yearly contribution of $150 million.
How you can participate
We are inviting Rotarians, friends, and like-minded individuals throughout the community to join us in a sponsored walking/running/cycling event to raise funds in support of the End Polio Now Campaign. Due to COVID-19 restrictions and social distancing, we ask participants to walk or cycle alone or with individuals from within their own “bubbles”.
Participate yourself and have people sponsor you or choose to sponsor someone else to walk, run or cycle the 24 kilometres.
Participants are asked to walk/run/cycle the 24 kms on or before October 24 and may accumulate the 24 kms over multiple days. Record keeping will be on the honour system.
For every $24 you raise, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will match it 2-to-1 or $48. That means your $24 donation becomes a $72 contribution to the End Polio Now fund.
How to register and collect funds
- Ask family and friends to sponsor you to walk or cycle 24 kilometres on or before World Polio Day on October 24, 2021
- If you do not know someone who is participating, you may sponsor one of the Rotarian’s taking part by simply entering your donation online
- Participants may start accumulating kilometres before or on October 24
- The 24 kilometres should be in addition to normal social and/or business activities
- Keep a log of how many kilometres you have travelled and advise your sponsors when you have completed the distance
- You may either collect funds raised yourself and then submit online via the Registration Link or ask your sponsors to submit the funds via the link directly
- Please go to the Rotary Club of Lions Gate’s website to submit donations: https://rotarylionsgate.com/
Weather data is currently not available for this location
Wind stec_replace_current_wind stec_replace_current_wind_units stec_replace_current_wind_direction
Humidity stec_replace_current_humidity %
Feels like stec_replace_current_feels_like °stec_replace_current_temp_units
Next 24 Hours
Powered by openweathermap.org